8.04.2011

An Attitude of Gratitude...For You

Yesterday I was certainly in a bit of a blogging funk. I slapped up a post that was whiny and needy and totally pathetic, under the guise of research. I apologize. This morning, a friend of mine pinned this little number on Pinterest and I realized that I had totally gotten sucked in to the blog comparison game.


Despite my desperate plea for affirmation and some sort of confirmation that someone reads this dumb thing, you guys came through brilliantly and caused me to blush with your kind comments and encouragement. Sandy B. had some great suggestions (specifically, that I start responding to YOU when you take the time to comment), and so I'm actually glad that I asked. I just wish that I had been able to do it without my emotions and jealousy getting in the way.

What can I say? I'm a work in progress.

It struck me this morning that I needed to express my thanks to you who have commented faithfully since the beginning of this blog. And to say thanks to those who lurk (and some of you came out of hiding as a result of my whining), and to those who read the blog in other forms, and those who have followed and encouraged along the way. I realize that there are a bazillion (if that's not a real number, it will be soon, thanks to the infamous debt ceiling) blogs out there, and I'm honored that you have chosen to read mine.

Source: etsy.com via Kendall on Pinterest

I also know there are many of you who blog and have the same frustrations that I shared yesterday, but apparently you handle it better than I did. (See "Work In Progress" above)

There is some humor to be found in this though. If you had asked me five years ago if I would be worried about how many people read my blog, I would have laughed in your face and informed you that I thought blogs were stupid. Just people rambling on about their own stuff and throwing it out there. Beth can confirm that this is true as she heard many of my rants. And yet, here I am, pathetically groveling for a "thumbs up" about my freezer meals post. {sigh}

So while the whispers of discouragement might come around again, I will do my best to keep it off of the blog and to work on writing posts that I'm proud of (whether people comment or not) and sharing my growth process so that you might be encouraged as well. If you hang with me, I think we can encourage each other. I promise to do a better job responding to you and your comments and questions, and I'll try to keep the whining to a minimum. {wink}

In the meantime...thanks.



5 comments:

  1. I sooooooo understand. I go through such cycles of "needing" feedback. You are not alone.

    As an apology, I haven't read the post you mentioned yet. I've been a bad blog follower this week. {my "reader" is out of control} I'm headed to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, friend! I like feedback, too, even though mine is so much more of just a "family update" blog. I agree about the comments. I wish the blogs were more "friendly" about those sorts of things. I used to use Xanga, and if you tagged someone in a comment with the "@", it would e-mail a copy of your reply to them. I use Wordpress now, and even when I hit the "reply", I think most of the times it just posts on my blog and not e-mail directly to them. I personally do not go back and check all the blogs I comment on to see if there are any replies, and I suspect most others do not either. So on my own blog, I try to just reply through e-mail to those who have commented. It doesn't really foster a back-and-forth dialogue on the post itself, but at least people are getting a response, albeit one line sometimes :-) In blogger I try to "subscribe" to the comments and that way if anyone responds or writes back, I can get the response in my e-mail. I wish there was a better solution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynnette Kraft just finish posting a really good series about blogging.

    http://lynnettekraft.com/

    I totally understand where you are coming from on the blogging front. It can be difficult not to feel discouraged but ultimately, you have to be writing for yourself at the end of day. My design blog (http://leasetodecorate.blogspot.com) has a lot of hits but very little comments. I think it is because it is less than a month old and there isn't much of a community feel yet.

    I do agree that interacting with readers is key.

    Just know that I enjoy your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Karen - your design blog is cute! I just spent a few minutes snooping around over there and then followed, so I'm looking forward to seeing your many projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your blogs too Carrie.. but am lousy at commenting.. I don't read them everyday, but will be trying to. I really love your thankfulness items, and find them to be so true and we tend to take things for granted unless we list them like you do.. Thanks for your interesting blogs.. keep the faith..

    ReplyDelete

A reminder: there are more than 400,000 words in the English language, please use them wisely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails