12.21.2010

Four...S'mores Kits

Earlier this month I was cruising around the blog-o-sphere and someone (and I can't for the life of me remember where I first saw it - possibly over at Money Saving Mom) shared a link to the Twig and Thistle blog and this adorable s'more kit! I won't lie...it was love at first sight. I immediately knew I wanted to recreate my own version of this s'more kit for Christmas gifts this year. It was too cute! Don't you think??

{Photo Credit: Twig & Thistle}

I roped Peter into helping me, which is how we found ourselves wandering around Michael's on my birthday. A friend suggested checking there for similar boxes (no such luck) to package these little kits. I was unable to find the boxes, but Mr. Crafty - Peter - came across these little clear "paint" cans and thought that they might have potential. After deciding on the smaller can and discussing how we could pack them, we purchased two (using 40% off and 50% off coupons in two transactions - you know all the people behind me were oh so happy that they picked my line!) and then went around collecting the fillers. Once I washed the cans, I got everything ready to assemble them...


Yes, I'm cheap frugal. I purchased the Kroger brand of Value Graham Crackers ($1.49 - I know you could get name brand with a coupon for less, but I had no coupons and was in a hurry - BTW, they taste just fine!). I also went cheap on the marshmallows (store brand at another local grocery story), but let's face it - you're going to burn them anyway. I did not skimp on the chocolate though (see, my priorities are straight), and added regular and dark Hershey's miniature chocolate bars to the mix. One they were assembled, my version looked like this...


The round washer came with the bucket and it's how you pry the lid off the top. It was attached with a little loop of plastic, so I reattached it with a plaid ribbon. I want to include a little note to explain the washer/opening and the s'more kit, but I haven't done it yet. I'm pretty pleased with how my version turned out - although I would still love to get my hands on some of the original boxes (I've found them online, but I'm going to keep looking around here). In the future I'm going to keep my eyes open for Ghirardelli chocolate squares to go on clearance after Christmas and use those in the kits - yum! It took me about 10 minutes to put the thing together, so very do-able if you don't have a lot of time. Minus the cans, you can get everything you need at the grocery - bonus!

Cost Breakdown
Paint Can (using Michael's coupons): $1.75
Graham Crackers (1/4 box): $0.40 (approx.)
Marshmallows (1/2 bag): $0.50
Chocolate (8 medium bars): $1.50
Total Cost: $4.15

Happy Roasting!

4 comments:

  1. So cute! Way to go with the fun, frugal gifts that are always appreciated! :)
    (side note here - we had an opportunity to stay at a Ritz Carlton resort in CA this fall... they were selling s'mores kits - for $38! maybe your gift is worth more than you think! :) )
    Have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable! I love your version!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I just saw these, too. check out Amy Beth's version on Ministry So Fabulous: http://ministrysofabulous.com/2010/12/21/with-a-bow-on-top/ Thought of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I wonder if a place like IKEA would have the clear boxes...

    ReplyDelete

A reminder: there are more than 400,000 words in the English language, please use them wisely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails