9.09.2010

You Capture...Signs

Was this a hard assignment or was it just me? All I know is that I was being run around our little town last night by the hubby (he's the best) while I would randomly yell, "Wait! Stop! Go back!" and then down the window would roll and I would try to frame shots. I will say that I like a lot of these better than the ones last week (from Mornings), but not as much as the ones I got for the Outside assignment. Still, I told Peter that by looking at our town through the lens of a camera, I was discovering all sorts of things that I wouldn't have seen otherwise - pretty cool stuff. So with that wordy opening, I give you my results for the week. I can't decide on a favorite.

This smokestack (and a few buildings) are all that is left of a German factory that was based in our town - we live in one of the last factory houses built for the workers (in 1940). I think it's a cool landmark - especially the white bricks.

I was out of the car and up at the fence taking these, so I doubt there are still security dogs, but I didn't want to find out either!

This sign is actually inside of our house. Peter likes to tinker and he took this sign and reworked the electronics so that when the phone is active (it's ringing or you're using it), the "Telephone" light comes on. Pretty sweet (espcially back in the days of dial-up!).

This is just down the hill from our house - as you can see they reused an old sign (twice actually).

As the sign suggests, we've come to the end of the pictures

I'm looking forward to seeing all of your lovely pictures over @I Should Be Folding Laundry. I just have to say that even though I felt like I was back in school last night with an assignment deadline, I am having an absolute ball doing this! I hope you are too!

29 comments:

  1. Glad someone else is totally getting a kick out of these assignments. My husband is almost as excited about them as me I think. By the time Monday arrives, he's all like, "So, uh, what's the topic this week??" I think he wishes he could participate too. But I was a bit stumped at first about what to photograph! And then once I started thinking about it, I had tons of ideas.

    Love the tower. Really cool. I should have taken a photo of the sign falling off our front gate that says "Warning: Dangerous dog." It was from the previous owners. We laugh at it because our dog is far from dangerous--but her bark sounds lethal and we hope strangers will leave our place alone just in case :)

    And your light-up telephone signs sounds totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! I love love love love the telephone photo...super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I LOVE that you have a 'driver' to help you with your assignments. Fun. Fun. FUN! : ) I also love that you found some awesome images to shoot. That Beware of Dogs sign is SO great! I wonder if any places still use dogs as watch dogs. All I know is, if I was trying to break in somewhere and I saw a doberman pincher I would FREAK OUT and quit my breaking in that instant : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story behind the telephone sign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. This week's assignment was a little harder. Especially when you live in the country and there are hardly any signs and you never go to town where there may be a few more of them.
    But you got some great sign shots, regardless of the assignment being more "interesting."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the telephone sign (and idea). Cool that it lights up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dog sign is great, the fact that its behind the fence just gives you a vicious vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the composition of the smokestack one. I was driving around last night taking last minute photos, too, snapping images of signs we passed on the way home from the store. I suspect your husband may have been a more patient partner than all my kids! :)

    Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the security dog sign. Very neat. I need one of those, but my dog is ALL bark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool! I love the telephone sign.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the way you composed the telephone sign!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh I want a cool sign in my house!

    http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots! I really struggled with this assignment too. You did good though! A+

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving these signs, great angles and I too would love to have a telephone sign in my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang it! I forget every week. I really want to participate in this. NO MORE EXCUSES... (feel free to send gentle reminders - hehe)

    I love the security dog photo but the smokestack is definitely my favorite. Beautiful shots, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like all your photos! What a variety. My favorite would have to be the smokestack. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. cool telephone sign. I like all your pictures actually. I like the framing on the smokestack and the dog sign is just a little scary, guess it serves it's purpose.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pics are really good. I love the smokestack. And the angle you got on the way cool telephone sign totally makes the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the shots, I really like the telephone shot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your post, especially the dog sign....scarry...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great shots. Love the signs you caught.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That telephone light is just too cool! What a great idea. Especially when it comes to having teenagers in the house someday......

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shots!! That's cool that the telephone sign lights up when in use.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought the same thing about this week's theme, and now I find myself unable to look at signs when I walk around outside!

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing Humped Zebra Crossings. I'd never heard that before, and it definitely gave me a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i think your sign shots came out great. your hub is the best for helping you out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Only just getting around to looking at all the 'signs' posts from last week. My favourite of yours is the telephone sign - great perspective

    ReplyDelete
  27. i can tell you're funny.

    love the STOP.

    Candra
    http://curiousgeorgi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

A reminder: there are more than 400,000 words in the English language, please use them wisely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails